My passion

Cal Owens (Callum Owens) vs. Jakob KranabettterCreative Commons License mark6mauno via Compfight

My passion is playing hockey.  I started playing hockey when I was 4 years old.  I learned about hockey from my friend Brett at preschool.  At first, I couldn’t even stand up on the ice, every time I stood up I fell.  After a few weeks, I was able to walk small distances without help.  I loved every minute but my parents were surprised that I didn’t quit.  I am happy that I didn’t quit.  Clearly, it’s my favorite sport now.  I learned the game of hockey at the same time I was learning to skate.  I started at Northern Kentucky Ice Center on the NKY Norse team.  My family moved to upstate NY for a few years.  There, I was on the Geneva Generals hockey team and played two years of Mite level hockey (6-8 years old).  We moved back to Kentucky and I started my squirt level hockey (9-10 years old) back with the NKY Norse.  After a year back with the Norse team I tried out for and made the Cincinnati Swords travel team for my 2nd year of squirt level hockey.  Now, I am on the Cincinnati Swords travel Pee-Wee (11-12 year old) hockey team!

Over the years I have learned skating skills, puck dribbling skills, stick handling skills, etc. but one of the best parts of hockey is all the friendships I have made.  One of my oldest and closest friends I met when I was at my first learn to skate session at 4 years old.  We have stayed in touch even though we have never been in the same school, and lived in different states at times and haven’t been on the same team in years.  As you might know, a sports team spends a lot of time together and most teammates become friends.  The first time this happened to me was when I lived in NY with the Geneva Generals.  I was a new kid and my teammates became my first friends there.  In fact, I still keep in touch with most of them.  When we go back to NY to visit, I always make sure to visit them and have even gone back to watch a couple of their hockey games.  I was sad to leave my team in NY but got lucky with a great team in NKY.  We were all friends on the Norse team and most of us still hang out.  My friend Nick and I became pretty close on that team and we both moved on to the same Cincinnati travel team.  Now, because my new team has practiced twice a week since the end of July and we have games on weekends we are all getting to know each other.  Making new friends is the best part of sports!